Well, it got so warm here over this weekend that I decided not to risk turning my pale insipid skin colour a healthy shade of brown. I decided instead to tuck myself away in a sweltering hot hell hole, err workshop – oh alright, spare bedroom, have it your own way. It was about time this Klingon Bird of Prey got lit up. I was originally going to claim that it was cloaked and just show everyone an empty display stand, but I probably wouldn’t have got away with that. Instead I’ve decided to add a bit of internal illumination in the form of just three LEDs. A white one (upper control deck), a green one (forward lower decks) and a low output red in the torpedo launch tube.
I have to admit at this stage that no one, and I mean absolutely no one can be more surprised than I was when I connected up the battery and it only went and bloody well worked! The reason for my self doubt was that I had to do a lot of hacking off of alignment tabs, cramming of wires, use of extremely hot, err, hot air gun (heat shrink tubing). After all that I was sure it was all going to go Pete Tong – but no…Whooo and Hoooo!!!!
As you can see, at this stage I just couldn’t resist quickly dry assembling the front of the model and seeing what the lights would look like. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the effect was just as I’d hoped. Still a lot of light leakage to sort, but nothing a kilo or three of filler wouldn’t put right, I’m sure. And finally, here’s the day’s work , after gluing together the lower section and bottom upper section (meh – you work it out!) – complete with the ubiquitous filler!!
Cya next time!